Explore a few interesting facts on India and its states and enhance your knowledge. This will arouse your interest and also help you in the preparation of various competitive examinations.
- India is a federal union comprising twenty-eight states and how many union territories?
Presently, India comprises 28 States and 8 Union Territories. India is a democratic country and came into being on 15 August 1947, upon gaining independence.
- Which of the following is the capital of Arunachal Pradesh?
Itanagar is the capital of Arunachal Pradesh and is named after Ita fort which means fort of bricks, build around the 14 century AD.
3. What are the major languages spoken in Andhra Pradesh?
Ans: Telugu and Urdu
Major languages spoken in Andhra Pradesh are Telugu, Urdu, Hindi, Banjara, and English followed by Tamil, Kannada, Marathi, and Odia.
4. What is the state flower of Haryana?
Lotus or Water Lily is the state flower of Haryana. It is an aquatic plant with broad floating green leaves and bright fragrant flowers that grow only in shallow waters.
- Which of the following states is not located in the North?
Jharkhand state is not located in the North. It is located in the north-eastern part of the country. It is bordered by the states of Bihar to the north, West Bengal to the east, Odisha to the south, Chhattisgarh to the west, and Uttar Pradesh to the northwest. The capital of Jharkhand is Ranchi.
6. In which of the following state, the main language is Khasi?
Khasi language is primarily spoken in Meghalaya state in India by the Khasi people. It is also spoken by some of the population in Assam and Bangladesh.
7. Which is the largest coffee-producing state of India?
Karnataka is the largest Coffee-producing state of India with 70.5% and is followed by Kerala, and Tamil Nadu.
- Which state has the largest area?
In terms of area, Rajasthan is the largest state in India which covers 342,239 sq km and as per Census 2011, the total population of the state is about 68548437.
9. Which state has the largest population?
Ans: Uttar Pradesh
Uttar Pradesh state has the largest population of more than 166 million. It is followed by Maharashtra and Bihar.
- In what state is Elephant Falls located?
It is amongst the most popular falls in the Northeast and is located on the outskirts of the capital city of Meghalaya.
- Which state of India celebrates Hunter Holi, an 800-year tradition?
Hunter Wali Holi in Haryana: Brother-in-law and brother-in-law pour colored water, sisters-in-law showers Korde.
12. What is the Capital of Mizoram?
The largest city in the states, but still very remote. Aizawl is located at 3715 feet from the sea level, and is a religious and cultural centre of the Mizos.
13. Which city is known as the “summer capital” of Jammu and Kashmir?
Srinagar, city, summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir union territory (Jammu is the winter capital), northern India, situated in the Kashmir region of the Indian subcontinent. The city lies along the banks of the Jhelum River at an elevation of 5,200 feet (1,600 metres) in the Vale of Kashmir.
14. What is the staple drink of Goa?
Feni is the staple drink of Goa, something you can’t escape. It is majorly made from cashews or coconut sap, which is then fermented and distilled. Feni has been part of Goa for almost 400 years.
15. Yakshagana is the folk dance of which state?
Yakshagana, dance-drama of South India, associated most strongly with the state of Karnataka. Elaborate and colourful costumes, makeup, and masks constitute some of the most-striking features of the art form.